Thursday, July 17, 2014

Home-made fish chowder recipe



Very long time back I remember very well when I took my first sip of fish chowder from fish & co., I was immediately awe-strucked!!

That very moment I decided I should attempt this recipe. Here's how I did it, yes tweaked to my liking:


  • Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tbsp plain flour
  • 600ml fish stock, made from 1 fish stock cube
  • 225g potatoes, peeled and halved
  • 300ml full cream milk
  • 500g fish, chopped (you can use any fish like salmon, halibut. I used barramundi fish)
  • 4 tbsp cream (I used cheddar cheese to ticken the soup instead)
  • 250g vegetables (I used a mixture of broccoli, mushroom and carrots)
  • small bunch coriander, chopped
  • 1 tsp mixed herbs (mix of oregano, rosemary and thyme)
  • black pepper and salt to taste 

Method

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 mins until the onion is soft. Stir in the flour, then cook for a further 2 mins.
  2. Pour in the fish stock and bring it up to a gentle simmer. Add the fish, potatoes and carrots in and simmer for 10-12 mins covered until the fish and vegetables are cooked through.
  3. Add the broccoli, mushroom, mixed herbs and season with salt and pepper. Then stir in the milk gently on low heat simmer for 5 mins covered.
  4. Finally add the cream or cheese to ticken the soup and then simmer for 1-2 mins more. Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with some bread.

No comments:

Advertorial